Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Chew my...what?!?

So, the other morning I was looking for a quick lunch at my local grocery store on my way to work. As I was perusing the prepared foods aisle I spotted something called Fruit2day. Being the curious person I am (okay, so only when it comes to bright colors and cute packaging) I picked one up to see what exactly it was.

The first thing that went through my head as I was reading the package was, Chew my juice? Ew. Ok, I will be the first to admit I love juice, but generally when you have to chew while drinking juice it can only be for two reasons…one, you forgot it was in the fridge and it started growing unmentionable things, or two, you have a small child who thinks putting small things in bottles that don’t belong there is entertaining. Yes, this is me speaking from personal experience. No, I don’t want to elaborate.

Anyway… did I mention I can be curious under the right circumstances? I did. So I decided, what the hell, I will give this chewy juice a shot. I purchase a pack for my lunch that day, to go along with the hardboiled eggs (how exactly do they preserve those?) and baby carrots I also purchased. The Fruit2day bottles come two to a package, and each bottle is 6.75 oz. It comes in four flavors, but I chose Strawberry Orange for my first Fruit2day experience.

Fast forward a couple hours, and I am starting to get a bit hungry. So I reach into my little lunch cooler… yes, I bring a cooler to work, stop judging me… and grab one of the bottles of Fruit2day. I shake it up. I unscrew the plastic top. I peel open the foil seal. Is it just me or are we preoccupied with safety these days? I take a peek inside the bottle. Well, it looks like juice. I take a small sip. Tastes like juice. I take a bigger swig. I begin to chew…tastes like…pineapple. I take another drink. Needless to say, I sucked it down in a matter of seconds. It was delicious! I drank the second bottle about an hour later. In my case this wasn’t such a good idea since it was mostly orange juice. Orange juice in large quantities happens to give me heartburn. Really bad heartburn.Really, really bad heartburn.

Now, I know what you’re thinking. Well, maybe I don’t. I am going to pretend I do anyway. Chewing your juice just sounds, well… gross. And this may not be the juice for everyone. If you don’t like any pulp in your orange juice (weirdo) then you probably won’t like this product. If you’re like me and like the extra pulp orange juice, you will probably fall in love with this like I did. Go to the website and check it out for yourself. The next day I went back and bought all the flavors. Unfortunately my daughter also fell in love with it and they were all gone in a matter of days. One bonus is that the cardboard holding the juice bottles is also a coupon for 55 cents off the next one you buy. Cha-ching! Jackpot.

Only one of my local grocery stores carries Fruit2day, and it’s not the one I frequent the most. So if I want my fix I have to make a special trip. Fortunately the store that carries it is only a few blocks from my house.

Be warned. Fruit2day can be addictive. At least it’s good for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment